Wednesday, January 23, 2008

1 AM...

Watch standing is great... for young sailors and soldiers that need to learn responsibility. But, I am sure that I have learned that lesson many times over (although some may disagree!). Anyway, it is 1AM right now, and as part of this wonderful Army training I am standing the watch in our barracks--because we have M9 Beretta pistols and M16 rifles.

Let me digress...

As promised, we left Norfolk at 0800 Saturday on four chartered Greyhound buses heading out for Fort Jackson--we drove through rain, sleet and snow... slowly, because the bus I was on had a speed regulator on it that made the engine cut off every time the driver went over 69 mph. So the other buses took off and then waited for us at the Burger King half way down (we were about 45 minutes behind). all in all, the trip took almost ten hours--I don't think I had been on a Greyhound bus since I left for college--I hadn't forgotten why, but this was affirmation.

Upon arrival we filled out paperwork and were assigned to barracks. I was assigned to an open squad bay barracks with about thirty other O4s (mostly Navy lieutenant commanders and one Air Force major). The next day was Sunday, and we didn't have to muster until 1230, so I went for a nice long run on the sand trails that meander through the woods here on the camp--there is some nice running here!

But, on Monday we were assigned weapons and lots of other gear; the process consists of waiting in many different lines all day long--each line adds to the burden of equipment you are expected to carry around until you finally collapse under the weight of it all (sleeping bag, Gortex suit, long under wear, boots--two pairs, knee pads, M16 rifle, M9 pistol, jacket, rain suit--different than Gortex suit, camelback, knee pads, helmet, helmet covers, body armor and plates, gloves, socks, and a hundred other things that I cannot recall). All OD green (olive drab) and/or the new Army digital cammo pattern.

Most of the stuff I won't use in theater at all (from experience!), but we have to sign for it and are responsible for turning in the gear in Kuwait in our way home--the idea that I might be held up returning home is anathema to me--so, take the gear, keep it in a bag and return it I will. I just hope my back can handle carrying the stuff from here to there and back again!

Yesterday we learned how to field strip the M16 rifle and the basics of shooting the rifle and pistol.

Today we practiced firing the weapons (all with no bullets) and moving about tactically with 75 pounds (!!!) of armor on your back/shoulders and trying to carry a weapon and look scary to whoever wants to shoot you. It is tough, tiring work. I don't know how the guys that really do this for a living are able to manage... awe inspiring.

Me in full battle rattle...



Anyway, part of the joy of having these weapons is that we have to be responsible for them, so we need to buddy up and always be watching them. At night, this means one person in the barracks has to be awake to make sure no "bad guys" come and take our weapons while we are sleeping. we have decided to rotate on one hour shifts during the night... thus, at 1AM I am up writing this... hope you enjoy it!!

the barracks at Camp McCrady, Fort Jackson

2 comments:

Katy Ho said...

Ooooh you look so mean in your gear. I think that if I saw you in the street I would piss my pants. Hope you hurry and get there so you can hurry and come back. Lots of love -K

den said...

Luckily my bark is worse than my bite!