Evidently today is the 233rd birthday of the US Army. I know this because there was a cake and a tuba in chow hall this evening when I got dinner. The cake said "happy birthday Army--233 years," and the tuba, along with a French Horn, two trumpets and a trombone, was playing marches and polkas like you read about....
There are some surreal things that happen here... and this was one of them, I mean listening to a horn section playing "happy birthday" in a building with an armor roof on it while picking up chicken curry and rice so that I can walk home through the middle of the Iraqi desert during a hailstorm of celebratory gunfire unleashed by the exuberant and neighboring Iraqi masses that just finished watching their soccer team keep alive its World Cup dreams by beating China... too weird... last week when the Iraqi soccer team won, several people were injured because of the celebratory gunfire that proves the old axiom "what goes up must come down (unless it has escape velocity)"...
another surreal day in Iraq...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment