Now, about the e-mail rant I wrote last week, you know, the thing where I have to classify and unclassified e-mail in order to send it—the sage continues… Shortly after I wrote that there was, magically and without warning, a subtle change in the little helper application (this may be the most ironic use of the word “helper” in the English language) that makes you choose the classification of the e-mail: that’s right, the choices of CONFIDENTIAL and SECRET disappeared! Now, you have only one choice of classification: UNCLASSIFIED (I am e-mailing this post to the blog just so you can see what the header and footer look like). The great part, is that you STILL have to choose (i.e. move your mouse over to the spot and click on the list to activate and then scroll down and click the ONE choice) the classification. You also have to choose a comment! The choices for that are none/blank, FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY, SENSITIVE BUT UNCLASSIFIED, and LIMDIS (for limited distribution). So, while it used to take a single key stroke or mouse click to send an unclassified e-mail on the NIPR, it now takes a minimum of SIX mouse clicks and scrolling!! Amazing!
Another bold experiment: I noticed that the drop down menus allow you to type your own text in them—now this could be very interesting!?!?! Even, fascinating!!! I tried another test e-mail to Peg; this time I didn’t choose the preset wimpy UNCLASSIFIED, but I typed in my own brief summary of my feeling towards the program thinking them appropriate. Foiled—when you type in an answer the little “OK to Send” won’t activate. But I didn’t give up—never let the Man beat you! I chose UNCLASSIFED and LIMDIS (what the heck?). Now the magic “OK to Send” button lit up. Now I went back to the drop down menu for classification of the e-mail, and (drum roll, please) I could change to my own text and the “OK to Send” button stayed activated. They hadn’t counted on this kind of persistence!! Feeling pretty good, I sent the e-mail on its way. Everything went smoothly… Too smoothly, I got that sinking feeling in my stomach—you know the one. I had to check the e-mail that had actually been sent. So, I navigate over to the Sent Mail folder and click on the message I had just sent… BAM, there it was in all its wimpiness, the normal, redundant, 6-click UNCLASSIFIED warning on the top and bottom of my e-mail… Drat, foiled again!!!
If this e-mail is marked FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY it may be exempt from mandatory disclosure under FOIA. DoD 5400.7R, “DoD Freedom of Information Act Program”, DoD Directive 5230.9, “Clearance of DoD Information for Public Release”, and DoD Instruction 5230.29, “Security and Policy Review of DoD Information for Public Release” apply.

No comments:
Post a Comment