Wednesday, October 05, 2005

The faster they run, the harder they fall...

Yesterday morning was glorious... Sun was shining, sky was clear, mild temperatures (relatively), slight cooling breeze--not that hot, nasty breeze that we had before. Heck, when I went to go out to our port-o-potty in the morning, the birds were even singing--it was like the opening to Cinderella (soon to come out on DVD)! In other words, it was perfect for a run. So, I went for a run.

It was, like the morning itself, glorious... right up until the end...

That is when I was feeling my best. The last 1/2 mile I had picked up the pace--stretching the old legs out, filling the lungs with warm and relatively dust-free air. Had my shirt off for maximum cooling. Had my cool shades on to guard against ricks, bugs and other flying debris, not to mention against the bright desert sun and the unsightly crows feet that come with too much squinting.

I am going along the long straight away that leads to the back of our building. This is where I have to turn a corner--not unduly sharp, not particularly hazardous on most days. But, there is a little trick: the side walk ends right after the corner and then there is a smallish run of concertina wire blocking the path... No problem, just take the corner a little wide, drop down the side walk into the street between the wire and the garbage can, and continue on my way. However, I was going fast and thought that I would pay extra attention to getting around the corner and by the razor wire, which is aptly named...

The problem with this is that there was a sizeable lamp post laying across the sidewalk at the beginning of the corner--how I misse dthat I will never know. But was I suprised when I found myself rolling and skidding along the sidewalk straight towards the razor wire! Well, the skidding stopped about 1 foot from the treacherous, flesh-ripping beast. However, I was on my back with my legs rather gracefully arranged (ikebana style) up in the air... So, while the rest of me stopped the legs just kept on trucking and came crashing down on top of the wire, which acted as a sort of spring and then shot my legs back out and over my body the other way. That was actually a relief as I have heard stories of Marines getting caught in the razor wire and not being able to get out on their own...

Did I mention the 10 Army folks that were waling on the opposite corner at the exact same time? How about the truck filled with people that was also coming around the corner? No? Well, they were there... I didn't stop--I used the momentum from the wire expelling my legs to stand up and start running again--really fast this time! The door to our building was only 20 meters away--the damage report could wait--I was on a mission: trying to maintain SOME cool points...

Alas, it was not to be. I ran up to the building and the door was locked!!! I was like the Miracle Whip commercial guy looking in the window, "Please, please, let me in!!" I ended up going around to the front of the building--not too far--and made it in the front door.

Damage report: skinned left knee, slightly skinned palms bilaterally, bruised ego, road rash on the left butt cheek and a left hip/butt that prevented me from sleeping on that side last night (and likely again tonight--that hurts!)...

Insult to injury: there was some kind of plant debris on the corner sidewalk (see the picture of the jackass trap below)--as I slid across the sidewalk (note the skid marks in the plant material), my sweaty back acted as some sort of super efficient burr/seed collector--I was covered, and my short were full of the stuff--I have know idea how that happened!








No comments: