Thursday, October 13, 2005

Happy Birthday Navy

Today is the Navy birthday--230 years old! There was a nice ceremony on base to celebrate, complete with readings of the Commandant of the Marine Corps and Chief of Naval Operations birthday messages, a Marine Brigadier General and his thought on the occasion, and an older Navy CAPT surgeon who started his military life as a Marine in Vietnam where he was inspired by the Navy Corpsman that served with him. Then there was cake...

Something about cake in the desert--it is always dry... Dry dessert in the desert...

Speaking of birthdays, I had one the other week and would like to take this moment to thank each and everyone of you that took the time to send and e-mail, a card, a present or even a thought--a big swooping thank you coming right at you!!

That day (my birthday day), was also the birthday of one of our other team members, so we had a wild party with dancing and... oh, no, we didn't do that... we had a sedate celebration where we BBQed a few steaks and had a couple of cakes though; and these weren't dry--very tasty, in fact. Somehow HMC ordered them over the internet--guess she still feels bad for throwing away my wash cloth. Or, maybe she just likes cake...

Anyway, I got all kinds of good stuff in the mail for my birthday. Interesting story how my Grandma got birthday-jacked so that I could get an awesome box of presents: for Grandma Rita's birthday party everyone brought a present for me (seeing as Grandma didn't need anything) and they put them in a box and mailed them out--very sweet. So, I guess she still had a birthday and a party, just no presents. So, that would be a present-jacking??

Anyway, I now have a sun visor with a built in fan, a paddle ball set and a beanbag filled with rice that I can use as a hot pad or a cold pack, two beanie babies (one Army and one Navy), a drink sleeve foamie thing in that is in the shape and color of a Hawaiian shirt, cookies, and one of those smelly cardboard Christmas trees that go in a car to make the port-o-sauna smell good... boy, am I lucky! I also got two books from Grandpa and Grandma--one about bad dogs and one about the origin of some of the words and phrases we commonly use... I got season 3 of The Man Show from Uncle Jack along with Jackass, The Movie... A sweet travel Scrabble game--the little tiles stick in the board--very cool, more books--including one entitled "On Bullshit" that is absolutely fascinating.

Anyway--thanks again everyone!!!

No comments: