Thursday, November 24, 2005

Happy Thanksgiving!

Well, well, well… Looks like it is that time again… I haven’t put up an entry for a while—sorry about that—but be thankful, here is the latest installment!! Just in time for the Thanksgiving festivities that abound here in Iraq and back home in the States.
First, there was, of course, a special meal today at the chow hall—look at the happy expressions below…


We had roast turkey breast (which was a million times better than the normal turkey loaf roll that they serve—that stuff is NASTY), ham, rib eye roast and a big old hunk of meat known as a steamship round—I had never heard of this, and if you say “steamship round” real fast it sound like something that belongs in the fort-o-potty, but evidently it is good. The side dishes were quite traditional: cornbread stuffing, garlic mashed potatoes (never enough garlic!), sweet potatoes and green beans, cranberry sauce, and plenty of bread.
So, with my plate loaded up, I made my way to the back of the chow hall where there was a table for eight open—we were eating in shifts—some one has to stay on watch at the building!
The food was rather tasty compared to our normal fare—I think the Diet Coke was a poor substitution for a nice glass of red wine though… Alas…

You probably noticed in the above pics that the place was decorated beyond belief—normally those walls are plain as plain can be—but the entire chow hall was done up—I will post more pictures later. Until then, Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!!!

No comments: