This is today's weather forecast for Baghdad... somewhat ironic considering the recent increased activities involving rockets and our Baghdad bases, but I guess they are taking into account the recent re-instatement of the cease-fire by MAS (Muqtada al Sadr-everyone important has their own acronym!).
I ran early this morning-with the Army guys-this time it was, as advertised, pleasant... so everyone showed up! More bonding...
Yesterday morning was crazy with dust that was so fine and white that it looked like fog, but it wasn't, and then there was the smoke... At home we know smoke and fog make smog, but here I guess we have to call it 'smust' or 'doke'... either way it is a bit "chokey"... To wit, as I walk to work in the morning, over the dirt and through the rocks, I cross a pleasant little bridge that traverses a pleasant little drainage ditch... Yesterday morning, the morning of the smust, a rather large catfish was laying on its side at the surface of the water, taking the catfish equivalent of its agonal breaths and gasping for whatever fish gasp for... I doubt it was the smust, but the thought crossed my mind... Of course, I spend much of my time looking at environmental sampling data--including air dust--and reassuring people that, as far as I know, they will probably be fine!
Anyway, we have reached and/or broken the 100F mark twice in the last week, so I guess the heat is on... April promises to be a warm one!
DJF (my own acronym!)
PS: Peg's birthday is tomorrow, call her cell phone and leave a singing message-that's what I'm doing!

No comments:
Post a Comment