Sunday, July 20, 2008

More Running Commentary

So, it turns out that today is Guam Liberation Day... Or, rather, Guam Liberation Celebration Day--the actual day is tomorrow. So the Island contingent here--which isn't tiny in any sense of the word; except for the one very short local Hawaiian wahine Army CPT from my unit--is putting on one heck of a BBQ complete with BBQ whole fish, Island Music, and volleyball... Hafa dai!... the Guam version of Aloha!

Today was also another long run day--more marathon preparation. I have been training well, lots of speed work and plenty of long distances--not so long as my crazy-in-a-good way buddy Dave (see previous post and comment). And, there have been lots of races too; 5 or 5K races, two 10K races including a mirror race of the Atlanta, GA, Peachtree 10K two weeks ago, and last weekend was a mirror race of the Utica, NY, Boilermaker 15K--who races 15K?? Regardless, it doesn't matter since every race here is a different distance--that's right, even all the 5Ks are different distances--even when they start from the same damn place... they move the starting posts and finishing posts somewhat randomly up and down the block! The only consistent aspect of the 5K race here is that in the first 20 and/or 100 meters there will be a 90° left turn that will bunch the start up like you read about...

But, even with all this running I am getting slower! I think (hope!) that it has to do with the fact that is has only gotten warmer while I have been here, and that once I get to San Diego, the cool ocean air will allow me to regain some semblance of running faster than a Death Valley death march...

BTW, recall that previously I mentioned that I occasionally hear gunfire while running and I optimistically believe that it is from a range somewhere in the distance? Well, turns out I was right to be optimistic. the other day I found, quite by accident the very range in question. I was out for a long run by myself, cruising down the road in a part of base that I had not visited before when all of a sudden there was a LOT of gunfire very near--right ahead... I actually stopped and though, "Frack, do I keep running towards the gunfire? Do I dive down into the ditch? do I turn around and run like hell the other way?" While I was mulling these questions over, I stood still with that deer in the headlights look--except that my wide open eyes were darting about and spied, up ahead, to the right, the tell-tale markings of a range! There were people on the range firing M-16 rifles and M-9 pistols. Good news! Except of course, that when people are practicing on a range, there are usually some yahoos out there that aren't so familiar with how to handle a weapon--I felt safe enough to run past the range (behind it you understand), but I kept a good pace!

There are other, much different sounds that one occasionally hears while running in Baghdad... There is a neighborhood on the other side of the twenty foot walls the separate some of the base from the outside city--in that neighborhood I imagine a playground... more of a dirt field actually... I haven't seen it, but I often here children playing soccer there--at least that is what it sounds like... it sounds like fun.

Then there is The Sound. If I run at the right time of day, usually very early in the morning or later in the evening, the mosque in that very same neighborhood that has children playing soccer will announce the call to prayer. Now, I know that Islam is not as old as, say, Christianity, but The Sound, the Adhan, is otherworldly... it sounds ancient... primeval... it literally grabs me by the base of my spine (try running with something grabbing your spine!) and simultaneously lifts me up (it is spiritual, awe inspiring) and pulls me down hard (I am in freaking Iraq! Again!).

No comments: