Ahhh, the sweet smell of burning trash mixed with the fine-grained powder that lets you feel the air-like when the humidity is so high that your have to push your way through the ether, only there is no humidity, just dust. So, burning trash smell, lots of dust, and the heady aroma of jet fuel... I can be no place but Iraq--actually, I could probably be several other places, but as soon as I stepped off the plane I am instantly transported back to 2005 and the good old days in Iraq. Only it is 2008 and the reality (and enormity) of where I am and what I am doing gob-smack me upside the head!
Holy Moki!?!?
I am spending the night (and perhaps the next few days or weeks) in transient tent/billeting while await the assignment of my trailer. Good news: the Army seems to think that my being selected for promotion is as good as being promoted as far as getting housing goes (so O5 housing vice O4 housing), this is a good thing because it means I will get my own room. Bad News: the O5 wait list for housing seems to be significantly longer and slower-moving than the O4 list...
No comments:
Post a Comment