Thursday, March 13, 2008

Brave or Stupid... you make the call!

I am bonding with the Army guys I work with, slowly but surely... Today was the day they wanted to go for a run. There are two guys that have been PTing together for the last six months or so of the deployment (their time, not mine), but they had fallen out of the routine for the previous month or so. Since I have been running a lot, I guess it may have spurred them on a bit. And we agreed to meet at 0540 this morning to go for an easy run. That is pretty early--especially at this time of year. It isn't hot enough yet, in my mind to justify getting up tat early to miss the heat of the day for PT. But, it wasn't my call...
This morning I wake up at 0515 to the sound of the wind howling something awful, and then the unmistakeable tap-tap-tap of raindrops on the tin roof (metal anyway)... I dress and head out the door--nasty, nasty, nasty! The rain and wind have whipped up the dust so that the air is thicker with dust than it is with water, but there is enough water on the ground that there is a slick coating of mud on all the surfaces, AND there is lightning, AND it is COLD in the wind and rain. No person in their right mind would run in this weather...
But, if I don't show up the Army guys might show up (promises were made!), and then give me a bad time about wimping out--I cannot let that happen! Of course, if they are smart, they won't show up and they can give me a bad time about being dumb/crazy enough to actually go run in this weather.... A serious Catch-22!! So, I run down there and run about for a few minutes waiting for them--slippery and cold and covered with mud: me and the sidewalk and the street. I figure that if they aren't there, then I can lie and say I was just as smart as they were and didn't show up; and, if they are there I can convince them to go to the gym instead. Whereas if I just didn't show up, I wouldn't know if they had actually showed or not... indefinite knowledge is difficult to stomach.
They weren't there! So, I ran around the housing area (maybe a mile) and ran back to my CHU and changed and lay back down and read and took a nap--perfect!
When I got into work later, one of them actually tried the, "I was there, where were you?" line for a minute, but he knew I wasn't' lying when I said, "bullshit! I was there!" So, I called them wimps and they called me stupid... great bonding!

No comments: