So, the other day, I am sitting at my desk minding my own business. In fact, I am on the phone speaking with Norfolk (not the whole town—just one person inside of a cubicle inside an office in an old building on the Portsmouth Naval Hospital Grounds…) Anyway, I am trying to get and give some information relevant to deployment and various other things in life (life pretty much is this deployment—not a helluva lot else to do here but work and think about NOT being deployed—and, as I prefer to be a bit more optimistic and positive, I end spending a lot of time working—not to say that I get a lot done, but that is another story… ).
So, I am having this conversation and the Chief opens the door to the outer office and mouths something that looks like “the general is here!” What kind of cruel joke is this? Something to trick me into getting off the phone—no! Not 2 seconds after she gives this silent, mouthed warning but does the Big Cheese, the boss of my bosses (no matter which chain of command I am following that day), come strolling in like he owns the place—which isn’t too far from the truth—he is certainly responsible for the place. Technically the Iraqi government, duly elected, owns the place. This is very interesting—from across the room all I can see is that this is an Army general. But, by the time I get up close enough to shake his hand, I have been able to read his nametag—thank God for those things!—and know who he is. I must be living right, because not 10 minutes prior to him coming through the door I was going to put on my shorts and yellow “Hello, My Name Is Nancy” t-shirt—that would have been interesting!! Anyway, I was basically presentable. But my mind was not as quick as my appearance may have led him to believe… He asked how things were going, if we needed anything… Things are going well, but of course there ARE some things we need—I just couldn’t think of them right then. All I could think to say was “blah, blah, blah, blah … everything is great!” And, then he was gone—poof, like the wind. I guess Generals are like that.
He was on a tight schedule—had a number of places on base to visit in only an hour or so… He came to base to attend the memorial service of an Army medic that had died over the weekend. She was in a vehicle heading out to treat the injured at the sight of an IED that hit a convoy. A second IED took her Hummer out, killed her and the other Army medic with her is in critical condition. Perhaps the General had other things on his mind than what we needed… I hope so.
Now, this General visit was a surprise. But I would have thought I would have been more prepared, because another General is SUPPOSED to come visit us this week. Although his aide has never called to schedule. So, we may have gotten off the hook for the week. But these guys don’t forget—and I am sure he will be visiting soon—and for more than a few minutes like the last one. Anyway, we have actually been preparing for a general’s visit. And that brings us to the Jacuzzi. The term Jacuzzi is actually pretty generous for what I am talking about. A 3000 gallon water bladder, filled with water and algae, is sitting on our lanai. We actually do have a lanai—more of a side porch—well, it is an area of asphalt that has some shade and chairs. It is very pleasant in the evening—really… Now, if we had a pump and kept the thing up, that would be one thing. But no one has stepped up to take care of this thing—so, it needs to go—it is disgusting. The point is, it really needs to go before the General that is scheduled to visit us actually does so! Of course, it is kind of like trying to hide a gorilla—where do you put a 3000 gallon water bladder when you want it gone??? Don’t worry, we have a plan—and it is legal!
Anyway, the surprise General didn’t see the Jacuzzi and I hope the scheduled general doesn’t either… wish us luck…

2 comments:
If you thought this post was going to have a picture of a General in a Jacuzzi on our lanai, then you were sadly mistaken....
dear dfaix,
i am a grade scul teachr in wesvirginy and am intrigued by your 3k bladder. when i was in the service we used to make privates get down a scrub them things till you could eat out of 'em - should be short work for you publik helth types. course, back home we jus go swimmn in 'em while the horses are drinkin out of em. good luck in IZ
Post a Comment