So, a few weeks ago the computer guys come and put a program on the SIPR (Secure Internet Protocol) computer. This is a separate network for secure communications—secret stuff goes on here, along with non-classified information also. Often times this network is more reliable and has fewer restrictions on it because it is separate from your NIPR (Non-secure Internet Protocol) and internet. Anyway, the program that they put on the SIPR computer makes you choose a classification for the e-mail you are about to send out; SECRET, CONFIDENTIAL, or UNCLASSIFIED (don’t even try to wrap your mind around the whole “classified as UNCLASSIFIED” conundrum—you will hurt yourself—trust me). Now, every time you go to send an e-mail on the SIPR computer you have to choose what classification to make it—a bit of an extra step, but not too onerous—takes about 2 seconds per e-mail. Actually, it is pretty onerous, it is just that not that many e-mails are sent on the SIPR so it doesn’t have a huge impact on my time.
Then, last week they install the same damn program on the NIPR (non-secure internet protocol). Now it is definitely onerous. Tthe NIPR is supposed to be non-secure, no classified stuff should be on it—so, why do I need a program to make me choose the classification? I have to choose from the same set of possibilities listed above. I am guessing it is a jackass trap—if I put a “SECRET” label on a NIPR e-mail, I wonder how long until the security guys come banging on my door to slap my hand—or worse…
So, here goes a bold test!! I sent my normal nightly (morning to Peg) e-mail home to say how things were going, but I gave it a “SECRET” label. This was two days ago, the security guys haven’t come yet…

No comments:
Post a Comment